Summary: Toggle displaying the status bar in Microsoft Word 2003
By default, Microsoft Word 2003 displays a status bar at the bottom of each document window. This contains document information such as:
Word 2003 Status Bar
* Page number and total number of pages
* Section number
* Current line and column number
* Options to record macros or track changes
* A selection extender
* Whether overtype mode is selected
* Spell check / grammar check status
Some computers may not have the status bar enabled. Some people, however, may find the status bar unnecessary and want to disable it to save more room onscreen for document editing.
To enable or disable the Word 2003 Status Bar:
1. Click “Tools” – “Options”.
2. When the “Options” multi-tabbed dialog box appears, click the “View” tab.
3. Underneath “Show”, check or uncheck “Status bar” as desired.
4. Click “OK” to close the dialog box.