Choose Where Saved and AutoRecover Files Go
SUMMARY: If you need to store workbooks and AutoRecover files elsewhere, configure Excel 2010 as to where they should be placed.
Do you have multiple hard drives or partitions and want to save Microsoft Excel 2010workbooks and AutoRecover files on a location reserved for data? Or do you just want to organize your files differently on your one hard drive / partition?
By default, Excel 2010 saves AutoRecover files in your user’s “AppData” folder (for Windows 7users, this is C:\ Users\ [YOUR_USER_NAME]\ AppData\ Roaming\ Microsoft\ Excel\). While workbooks can be saved anywhere, the default location is your Documents folder (forWindows 7 users, this is by default C:\ Users\ [YOUR_USER_NAME]\ Documents). Here’s how to change these locations:
1. Select the “File” tab in the Ribbon.
2. The Microsoft Office Backstage View appears. Click the “Options” button.
(Or instead of steps 1 and 2, press Alt + T, then the letter O.)
3. The “Excel Options” dialog box appears. Click “Save” in the left pane.
4. In the right pane, underneath “Save workbooks”, you will find two text boxes. One is next to “AutoRecover file location”, the other next to “Default file location”. Click on a box and enter a new path to change the respective file location. Note that you must enter path names exact as there are no “Browse” buttons.
5. Click “OK” on the bottom-right of the dialog box to close it.