By default, Microsoft Word 2007 uses your operating system’s locale default units of measurement for objects such as the ruler. However, if you would like to switch to a different measurement unit, such as centimeters or inches, perform this tweak:
Changing Word 2007’s measurement units
2. Select “Advanced” in the left pane.
3. Scroll down to the “Display” section.
4. Next to “Show measurements in units of”, click the pull-down and choose one of the following:
* Points (a typography unit of measurement, 1/72 inch)
* Picas (a typography unit of measurement, 12 points or 1/6 inch)
5. Click “OK” to save your settings.