Forget to use document change tracking? Stuck with two somewhat similar documents you need to compare and merge the differences? Luckily, Microsoft Word 2003 comes built-in with a document comparison tool where you can view two documents side-by-side.
1. Open both documents in Microsoft Word 2003.
2. Focus on one document. Select “Window” – “Compare Side by Side With”. If you only have two documents open, this menu item will mention the second document’s filename. If not, a dialog box will appear allowing you to choose the document to compare.
3. The two documents will appear side-by-side. As you scroll through one document, the other will scroll as well.
4. A “Compare Side” floating toolbar will appear. If you don’t want one document to scroll while the other scrolls, click the left button (it looks like two documents side-by-side with an up and down arrow).
5. View/edit your document as needed. When done, click “Close Side by Side”.