Summary: Create Word 2003 documents that may be easier to view by those running older versions of the word processor.
Word 2003, XP, and 2000 introduce features that may be incompatible with earlier versions of Word such as Word 97 and Word 95. While all versions save files in the .DOC format, files saved with Word 2003 may not work correctly in older versions without modifications. If you need to transfer files to those running earlier versions of Word, you can do the following to help expedite this process.
1. Click "Tools" selecting "Options".
2. When the "Options" multi-tabbed dialog box appears, click the "Save" tab.
3. Check "Disable features introduced after".
4. Click the nearby pull-down to choose either Word 97 or Word 95 depending on the machine needing to view your saved documents.
5. Click "OK" to save your changes.
When you are done saving documents that older versions of Word should be able to view, be sure to go back to this dialog box and uncheck the box to take advantage of Word 2003's newer features in your saved documents.
Last Modified on: July 13, 2008, at 12:04 A.M. EDT
Return to the Microsoft Word 2003 Compatibility and Other Word Processors page.