Summary: Prevent Word 2007 from creating automatic bulleted and numbered lists as you type.
Microsoft Word 2007 automatically creates bulleted and numbered lists as you type. While many people appreciate this feature, others would rather take more control over their document editing. Perhaps you do not want the automatic formatting that comes with list creation, or you may prefer creating a list with actual asterisks.
To disable this automatic feature:
1. Access the Microsoft Word 2007 Options menu.
2. Select "Proofing" in the left pane.
3. Underneath the "AutoCorrect options" section, click the "AutoCorrect Options" button.
4. When the "AutoCorrect" multi-tabbed dialog box appears, click the "AutoFormat As You Type" tab.
5. Underneath "Apply as you type", uncheck "Automatic bulleted lists" and "Automatic numbered lists".
6. Click "OK" on the dialog boxes to save your settings.
Last Modified on: July 29, 2008, at 8:54 A.M. EDT
Return to the Microsoft Word 2007 page.